drag and drop web creator

Rotary Park Lawn Bowls

Club History

1919

The Origin

There are no written records regarding the club's history. Information related to the early history has been obtained from a well known lefty "George Hornby"
In 1919 the Prince of Wales broke ground for the construction of Memorial Hall located at 7th Avenue and 1st Street but due to many circumstances the building was not completed until 1922  

1922

Original Clubhouse Completed

The Club dates back many years and was originally named the Royal Canadian Legion No.1 Branch Lawn Bowling Club and the green was located directly behind the Legion Hall.  

1930

The Early Competition

There was another organization named the Army and Navy Club and they also bowled downtown as early as 1930. Their green was at 3rd Avenue and 4th Street SW, the area now known as the Westin hotel.  

1956

Clubs Moves to New Location

It was not until 1956 that the Royal Canadian Legion No.1 Branch Lawn Bowling Club moved to Rotary Park and constructed a clubhouse and a green on the West side of the property.  
The Army and Navy Club also moved up the hill and constructed a green on the East side of the Legion Club. Both clubs used the same clubhouse and were known for the Sunday morning interclub matchups known as the "Outlaw League"
It is not known when the two clubs merged.  

1973

Phase 2 After Clubs Merge

The Rotary Park Recreation Center was build in 1973 and for many years served as the clubhouse.  

1991

Incorporation

On September 19, 1991 the Club was incorporated
under the Societies Act of the Province of Alberta.  
Many big name tournaments have been held at the venue such as Canadian Championships, World Police Fire Games, Canadian Senior Triples Championships, Inter Provincial and numerous Provincial competitions.
Also in the early days matches with teams from Medicine Hat, Lethbridge and Edmonton.  

(TBA)

Club Re-named

A new club name and bylaws was instituted in (????) when the organization registered as Rotary Park Lawn Bowls Club.  

2008

Re-Development

In 2008 the City took steps to redevelop the area, consequently the club functioned without a clubhouse for three years.  

2010

New Building

Construction started in 2010 on a new venue at the West side of the property and the club took possession of the building during June 2011